A pretty enormous size may come in front of your eyes when you think about a diesel truck! Not just about the size, this requires a powerful engine with a combination of energetic batteries in order to run smoothly and safely!
Let me get to the point – an energetic battery definitely requires a superior charger to get the job done. In this case, having the best battery charger for diesel truck has better alternatives, mark my words!
Hands down, a charger can solve your problems by giving your diesel truck a “quick charge” for the next run.
Also, a diesel truck battery charger is able to jump-start a dead battery with ease and minimal effort. As you can see, having this particular thing is a must if you already have a diesel truck.
Luckily, you’re getting plenty of information about the diesel truck battery and the top 5 ultimate picks to choose from. So let’s move forward!
What is a Best Battery Charger For Diesel Truck
The NOCO Boost Pro GB150 is by far the best battery charger for diesel truck. Lightweight structure, powerful lithium-ion battery, weather-friendly, you name it; this one can also start both 9.0L gasoline and 7.0L diesel engines, making it versatile. Unlike the typical chargers, the NOCO Boost Pro GB150 ensures a spark-proof reverse protection.
Best 5 Battery Charger for Diesel Truck
After thoroughly checking 23+ different models of diesel truck battery chargers, I’ve ended up with the 5 best choices. They’ve almost everything you’re looking for.
- Best Choice: NOCO Boost Pro GB150
- Best Value: NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12-Volt
- Premium Pick: NOCO Boost X GBX155 4250AUltraSafe Portable Lithium Jump Starter
- Best Quality: HULKMAN Alpha85 Jump Starter 2000 Amp 20000mAh Car Starter
- Best for Dead Battery: GOOLOO 4000A Peak SuperSafe Car Jump Starter
* All Above 05 links are #Ads of Amazon
Now let’s read the reviews to see which earns the gold standard!
1. Best Choice: NOCO Boost Pro GB150
- Features 3000 amps
- Packs 7.50lbs of total weight
- Includes a lithium-ion battery
- The dimension is 16.85 x 9.21 x 4.02 inches
The NOCO Boost Pro GB150 battery jump starter comes in unbeatable power, making it the best choice for heavy-duty tasks. It doesn’t matter whether it is summer, rain or even winter, this model is friendly with all!
By just giving a single press, you’ll be able to jump-start your dead car battery. NOCO Boost Pro gets the ability to start anything between 7.0L diesel engines and 9.0L gasoline engines.
Unlike the typical battery chargers, this one is up to 75% quicker in terms of charging plenty of different electronics, such as smartphones, vacuum cleaners, air compressors, etc. In this way, users can save almost half of their time to recharge something.
The battery charger is a perfect combination of high-end copper clamps along with the sturdy build quality to maximize the overall longevity. And don’t hesitate to call it a “portable power 12v device”. This is turn on a dead battery up to 80 times on a single charge, which is great!
Anything more? Yep, you’ll find an 500 lumens ultra-bright LED flashlight that works just awesome, especially when you need to work at night or in dark places. So overall, I loved it!
- Starts 7.0L diesel engines or 9.0L gasoline engines
- Able to bear -4-degree F and 140-degree F
- An ideal portable power 12v device
- Ensures 75% quick-charge compared to typical choices
- Gets high-quality copper clamps and excellent build quality
- Includes 500 lumens ultra-bright LED and Cigarette lighter socket additionally
Reasons To Buy
- Works great for heavy-duty tasks
- Quicker and more long-lasting
- Compact yet sturdier
- Friendly with every weather
- Suitable for car, diesel truck, pickup, tractor, boat, etc.
Reason Not To Buy
- Won’t work in case the battery is fully dead!
2. Best Value: NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12-Volt
- Comes in 1000 amps
- Weights 2.4lbs
- It includes a lithium-ion battery
- The dimension is 6.57 x 3.15 x 7.72”
Struggling to jump-start your dead battery safely? Simply get your hands on the NOCO Boost Plus that makes the whole task a breeze with its multi-functional capability. With just a single charge, you can jump-start nearly 20 batteries at a stretch!
As for safety, this one right here offers reverse-polarity protection as well as spark-proof technology. Its UltraSafe feature is something I’ve found great, especially for newbies.
Looking for something fancy? It has got you covered then! You’re getting an additional LED light of 100-lumen, including SOS and emergency strobe with 7 different light modes.
Weighing only about 2.4lbs, the NOCO Boost Plus has got a portable and ultra-compact design for user convenience. Plus, rubber-molded casing helps prevent undesired scratches.
What would you do if rain starts during the charging period? No worries, the IP65 waterproof design will ensure protection against harsh weather conditions. And no need to think it’s just a diesel truck charger; it can be used to charge your power bank, tab, mobile, and some other common devices. Really, it gives enough value to its price!
- Can jump-start 20 times at once
- Rated for 3L diesel engines and 6L gasoline engines
- Features 100-lumen LED lights
- IP65 waterproof design
- Mistake-proof design, spark-proof technology
- Offers high-quality clamps, micro USB cable, and storage bag additionally
Reasons To Buy
- Portable with ultra-compact design
- Able to deal with harsh conditions
- 7 different light modes with SOS and emergency strobe
- Versatile and ultrasafe
- Can be used for mobile charging, tabs, power banks, and so on
Reason Not To Buy
- Poor maintenance may result in battery drainage!
3. Premium Pick: NOCO Boost X GBX155 4250AUltraSafe Portable Lithium Jump Starter
- Provides 4250 amps
- Weighs nearly 7.01lbs
- Packs a lithium-ion battery
- Measuring around 8.18 x 4.84 x 13.51”
NOCO Boost presented this wonderful battery charger that has all the qualities you need, from extreme power to optimal safety. Constructed for heavy-duty tasks, this one right here offers no less than 4250 amps to confirm a flawless jumpstart, even under harsh weather!
Let it be diesel or gasoline engines, it’s highly able to start at a rate of 10L max. Its mistake-proof connection maximizes user safety, allowing you to jump-start with minimal risks.
You’ll find the copper clamps pretty much effective as they’re professional-grade and ½ larger in size compared to the traditional choices.
For more convenience, the maker has added extra space, and they call it a “cigarette lighter socket. This can be utilized as a portable mobile power source (12V DC) for every automotive item.
- Comes in 10L gasoline and 8L diesel rating
- 75% faster in terms of charging other devices
- Coper clamps are durable and professional-graded
- Mistake-proof connection to enhance safety
Reasons To Buy
- Fairly powerful and durable clamps
- Offers a cigarette lighter socket additionally
- Safe to use
- Able to jump-start under any weather condition
Reason Not To Buy
- Included timer may switch off the charger automatically!
4. Best Quality: HULKMAN Alpha85 Jump Starter 2000 Amp 20000mAh Car Starter
- Features 2000 amps
- Comes in 4.58lbs
- Packs a lithium-polymer battery
- The dimension is 9.06 x 4.06 x 1.81”
If both quality and performance matter a lot to you, then I’m pretty sure nothing can beat the HULKMAN Alpha85 that can jump-start no less than 60 times at a go, and that too within a single charge only.
Moreover, the cranking amp allows it to start 6L diesel engines and 8.5L gasoline engines. Don’t you think these things are enough to make it one of the best battery chargers for diesel trucks?
Another plus point is its top-speed charging capability; it’s able to charge from 0% to straightly 100% within only 1 to 1.5 hours. And guess what? Your diesel truck requires only 20% energy to start up.
The unique part? It’s not just a typical battery charger; you can use it as a 20,000mAh power bank as well in order to charge other devices, including flashlights, inverters, inflators, etc.
No worries even if need to use it in both colder and hotter weather conditions; the battery can tolerate 113-degree F and up to -4-degree F. Furthermore, the durable frame with IP65 function makes it drop-resistant and water-resistant!
- Able to jump-start 60 times in one charge
- 6L diesel engine rating and 8.5L gas engine rating
- It takes only 1-1.5 hours to get a battery fully charged
- Can hold -4-degree F and 113-degree F
- Shows off a smart screen of 3.3”
Reasons To Buy
- IP65 function and 9+ protection
- Take a pretty short time for charging up
- Tolerates extreme weathers
- Can be used as a 20,000mAh power bank as well
Reason Not To Buy
- Not compatible with completely dead battery!
5. Best for Dead Battery: GOOLOO 4000A Peak SuperSafe Car Jump Starter
- Gets around 4000 amps
- 3.96lbs of the total weight
- Gets a lithium-polymer battery
- Measuring about 8.97 x 3.92 x 1.49”
Let it be vans, cargo, diesel trucks, tractors, ATVs, or anything else, the battery charger from GOOLOO is able to start up almost every 10L diesel engine and every single gasoline engine, thanks to the 4,000A peak current it comes with.
Instead of one, it features two charging USB ports to ensure as quick charging as possible. And needless to say, you can use it to charge your other devices too like your smartphones, cameras, air compressor, and so forth.
I’d like to call it an “emergency life-saver;” you can make a maximum of 30 starts at once by just using this single battery. And another mentionable feature is that it can be used as a portable charger also since it loads around 26800mAh.
To keep this battery from all kinds of damages and bummers, the maker of this model has made it with “all-metal clamps.” Moreover, its rubber material with a perfect combination of hardened plastic is just enough to make it sturdier and long-lasting.
Anything more? The manufacturer is concerned about your visibility issues, which is why they have added an extra flashlight here. And what’s inside the box? So many things can be found out there, including type-c cable, quick wall charger, manual, storage case, and a few more!
- Can easily jump-start 30 times within a single charge
- Every gasoline engine and 10L diesel engines
- Can be used as a 26800mAh power bank
- Combination of hardened plastic, rubber, and all-metal clamps
- Extra flashlight is included for users’ convenience
Reasons To Buy
- Durable and pretty safe to use
- Can be used to charge multiple electronics
- LED flashlight maximizes visibility
- Lots of accessories are included
Reason Not To Buy
- Might be a little costly to someone!
A Comprehensive Guide to Battery Charger for Diesel Truck
Buying the best battery charger for diesel truck relies on so many things, starting from knowing the key features to jump-starting. And thankfully, this single piece of write-up is going to show you almost everything you’re searching for.
Features of a Good Commercial Grade Charger
There’s no surprise that the current marketplace loads a lot of commercial-grade chargers. But guess what? Most of these have included different features, and this is what makes the users quite confused about choosing a single one.
So let’s see what are the most common or must-have features of a commercial-grade charger:
You’re getting battery for your diesel truck, not for your mobile phones, right? So it really makes sense that it’d be a little bigger in size. But transferring it more often may result in huge battery drainage!
No worries, consider having something that has extra wheels and gripping area. These will make your transportation a breeze!
Start Assist Feature
Without even looking for the overall charging capacity of your diesel truck battery, the effective start assist feature assists in powering up your car. But this feature can’t be found in every model. So make sure your desired pick has got this one.
Checking the specifications of charger is equally important to confirm that it’s compatible with 12V and 6V batteries.
Thankfully, a few diesel battery chargers are well-equipped with the ability to test the battery of your vehicle to make sure if it is okay or replacing it becomes a must!
Almost every battery is unable to tolerate extreme heat, that’s the reason why some of the top-notch chargers have a specific cooling mechanism in order to prevent issues with overheating.
So if you want to keep the battery charger long-lasting, ensure having the one that features an integrated fan additionally.
Other Safety Features
Having a battery charger that includes alligator spring clamps is a big plus to keep you safe against shock. Alongside that, the polarity detection (reverse) helps you understand whether each clamp is correctly joined or not.
And last but definitely not least, the charger you’re going to purchase should be UL/CSA certified.
What to Consider Before Buying Best Battery Charger for Diesel Truck
Considering some specific things will be needed when you make a decision on buying the best battery charger for diesel truck. Chances are you may end up with the poor or worst choice, especially if you’re a newbie.
So, let’s look for the best factors to get plenty of ideas about the best diesel truck battery charger.
Considering the Capacity
If you get yourself a battery charger of 16-volt to run your 12V battery, then you’re just bringing a knife to a gunfight! So make sure you’re well-aware of the voltage capacity.
Some of the common capacities are 12V, 16V, and 5V. Ensure to give the manufacturer guide a look to see the rate of your diesel truck battery and what you really need.
Overall Build Quality
Starting from the outer frame to the quality of clamps, it’s necessary to look for the overall build quality of your charger. Hardened plastic, steel, and rubber-molded case might be what you need to have.
All-metal clamps are much suitable for dealing with corrosion, rust, and extreme heat.
This is a must to look for if power and performance matter most to you. A top-quality charger has higher amount of amps, tolerating heavy pressure and at the same time providing so much energy to your diesel truck battery.
In my opinion, you should go with the one that features at least 1000 amps.
Although this isn’t a must-have feature, still you’ll get plenty of advantages if your charger comes in fast-charging feature. Besides, if you’re too busy with your life or just want to get your battery fully charged, pay attention to those models which have this feature.
Most people neglect the feature but trust me, they’re doing wrong! Along with the battery of your diesel truck, the charger also needs to be durable and quiet friendly with every weather condition. If so, you’ll be able to use it in both cold, summer, and rainy seasons.
It’s a big plus if you get your hands on a piece of charger that’s both ultra-compact and lightweight. You won’t feel any kind of discomfort if the model of your diesel truck battery charger is lightweight.
Besides, you can even keep it inside your backpack or pocket when the model appears to be compact.
IP65 waterproof, mistake-free build quality, spark-proof technology, rubberized casing, and ultra-bring flashlight; these are some of the common yet effective safety features that can be found on a top-quality diesel truck battery charger.
Benefits of Best Battery Charger for Diesel Trucks
Only the best charger can help you to charge your diesel truck battery way too effectively. And guess what? There are some more advantages of getting a charger. These are given below:
- Not only a charger gives a battery as much charge as possible, but it also helps your diesel truck to function more effectively
- By using a top-notch diesel battery charger, it’s possible to use your battery longer than the usual
- The chances of higher battery drainage and fluid emission will get reduced if you use a high-quality charger instead of the cheap one
Diesel Truck Battery Pricing
$200 and $200+: When you prepare yourself and your diesel truck to deal with colder cranking amps, getting something of these ranges will be required. At this price tag, you’ll mostly find deep cycle batteries, which are strongly able to hold a consistent voltage.
Furthermore, the top-notch versions can be last for up to 8 years or even more!
Less than $200: At this range of price, you can find lead acid batteries for your diesel truck. In the colder season, most of the units of your diesel truck will provide as much power as possible in order to start up the engine. But unfortunately, it isn’t the best choice to power up every single accessory.
How to Charge Dual Batteries in a Diesel Truck
Charging dual batteries in a diesel truck might be a piece of cake when you’re familiar with the right techniques. So let me teach you how you can get this job done:
- First off, break the connection of the negative (-) terminal following the positive (+) terminal. Feel free to perform the same task for your 2nd battery.
- Pick up the red clamp from a charger, connecting it to your first battery’s positive terminal. Similarly, get the negative (-) clamp in order to join it to the battery’s negative terminal. Don’t forget to do the step repeatedly for the second charger with the 2nd battery.
- Make sure you’ve adjusted the chargers to take charge on as low as possible amps. By doing so, you’ll be able to get full charge, although it may take some extra more time.
- After charging for a minimum of 2 hours, switch it off and start the engine of your diesel truck. If you fail to start it up, feel free to utilize the process once again that I’ve mentioned before, meaning attaching the chargers again and taking an extra hour for charging.
- Beginning from the negative (-) terminals, let’s re-install the terminals of your diesel truck battery, and that’s all!
Best Battery Charger for Diesel Truck – Comparison Chart:
If you’re in a hurry or need to find a quick solution about buying any charger, ensure to take this comparison chart a look:
Best Method to Charge Battery Truck
Everyone doesn’t know about the best method to charge the truck battery. So let’s take a look at the steps and follow them thoroughly:
- Step#1: The first job is to choose the right charging setting considering the battery type carefully.
- Step#2: Make a connection between the charger and cables. Untangle or unwrap it will be needed.
- Step#3: Position both the negative and positive sides of your diesel truck battery. Ensure to look for the “(-)” or NEG and “(+)” or POS signs around the terminal.
- Step#4: Clip the black-colored cable to the negative side, and similarly, attach the red-colored cable to the positive one of the terminal.
- Step#5: Get a power source to connect the charger. Having extension cord might be required in order to reach your diesel truck.
- Step#6: Wait for a while till the truck’s battery gets completely charged.
- Step#7: Right now, disconnect the charging device straight away and make sure it’s switched off. Afterward, unplug both the negative and positive clamps as carefully as possible.
- Step#8: Once you unplug them, make sure to switch off and disconnect your charger. While testing your charger, get yourself a multimeter that’s able to read more than 12.6 volts.
Don’t you have such tools? No problem, just start up the engine of your diesel truck and switch the headlights on for manual testing.
Why Do Diesel Trucks Have Two Batteries?
There’s no surprise that a diesel truck needs to have two batteries to run, but do you know why? Well, the most common reason behind it is to crank at maximum amps.
Alongside it, the engine of a diesel truck needs higher loads of resistance, lots of power to run in an efficient way. It needs almost double power compared to any gasoline-type engine. That’s why you mostly find diesel trucks with two batteries.
Jump-Starting a Diesel Truck with Two Batteries
Whether you’re a busy guy who doesn’t have enough time to wait for a complete battery charge or the existing batteries just died away, jump-starting may come in handy.
But in order to do that, having a donor vehicle will be needed, which is should be running up to 2 jumper cables. Let’s see the process of jump-starting a diesel truck right away:
- The heaters of each diesel truck should be switched on. Along with that, don’t forget to switch off the other electronic parts such as stereo, lights, wipers, and windshield.
- Engaging the brake of parking and shutting down the engine is what you’ll do now. And needless to say, you need to keep each truck in a neutral position.
- Get your hands on the dead battery to connect jumper cables immediately. It’s better to have relatively thick cables.
- Ensure to clamp a single jumper cable to the “(+)” terminal of the dead battery you’ve selected. Similarly, clamp onto the end of that donor’s vehicle.
- Let’s start up the engine of both the dead and other truck. Keep on running for a couple of minutes and then turn the other truck’s engine off.
- Now your duty is to take the grounded cable off from your diesel truck. Afterward, get your hands on the positive terminals, take off the cables from them. The cable should be removed from negative terminal of other trucks as well.
- To enable the alternator to charge two batteries, go for driving your diesel truck at least 15-20 minutes after successfully completing the jump-starting task.
Charge a Diesel Truck with Completely Dead Batteries
Many people want to know how to charge a diesel truck with completely dead batteries. But thankfully, there is a solution! Read on to get familiar with the secret:
- Ensure to switch off the engine of both your and your donor’s truck and keep them in parking mode
- Make an attachment of jumper cables pretty carefully following the right technique. For instance, the positive cable (+) should be well-attached with your dead battery’s positive sides. Similarly, the end of positive cable (+) should be connected to the live battery’s positive side.
- By just following the same guideline, you need to attach the negative (-) cable’s end to your live battery’s negative side. Make sure you’re also clamping the negative cable’s end to your truck engine’s metallic parts. And don’t make a mistake by directly joining it negative post.
- Now, start up the engine and allow your truck to idle for a couple of minutes.
- Now it’s time to start your dead battery’s engine.
- After you notice the engine is running and has already turned over, disconnect each of the cables straight away following the reverse direction. In this case, unplug the negative cable first from your truck’s engine block that includes dead battery.
- Enable your truck to run for more than 20 minutes. After that, drive yourself for a minimum of 25 minutes or so, offering the battery quality charge.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q1. Do Deep Cycle Batteries Need Special Chargers?
A) Using typical battery chargers won’t give you the result you’re hungry for. Remember, a piece of deep cycle battery isn’t capable of handling extra heat and rapid charging, which is why they require special chargers to get optimal benefits.
Q2. How Long Should Diesel Truck Batteries Last?
A) It highly depends on the usage and maintenance. Furthermore, it also depends on the truck’s health as well as the driving habits. But generally, diesel truck batteries last between 4 to 5 years easily.
Q3. How Many Batteries Does a Diesel Truck Run on?
A) Almost every diesel truck battery requires to have two batteries instead of one in order to run efficiently, but why? Because their engines need loads of high resistance along with extreme power to start up.
Q4. What is A Good Truck Battery Charger?
A) A good piece of battery charger needs all the good features, from high resistance loads to excellent charge backup. Along with that, you have to make sure the battery is able to stand against harsh weather conditions, so you can use it for long in any season.
Q5. What Do You Want to Spend on a Battery Charger?
A) I’d definitely want to spend my valuable cash on those battery chargers which offer higher warranty. And if your product offers long-term warranty, you won’t have to worry about replacing it, even if it breaks down within just around 2-3 days!
Q6. How Long Does it Take to Charge a 12 Volt Car Battery?
A) It highly depends on the rate of amps. If you have a battery of 10 amps, it may require 4-4.5 hours to get fully charged.
Similarly, while operating a battery charger of 15 amps, this will take about 3.6 hours. In a nutshell, the duration relies on the overall charging output.
Q7. How Many Volts Should A Diesel Truck Battery Have?
A) 12-volt is by far the most ideal range when we talk about diesel truck batteries. This is more eco-friendly and suitable for almost every kind of diesel truck.
Q8. Can You Trickle Charge a Diesel Battery?
A) Maybe you can, but trickle charging a diesel battery will result in damaging the battery by overcharging it. So it isn’t advisable for everyone.
Our Top Pick: NOCO Boost Pro GB150 Battery Jump Starter
On the list of the best battery charger for diesel truck, the NOCO Boost Pro GB150 Battery Jump Starter stands out from the crowd. There are plenty of reasons behind its success, starting from the quick-charging ability to the cigarette lighter socket.
There are a few more things that made it a real topper. It’s relatively compact yet offers turn on a dead battery up to 80 times on a single charge, which is really great for dead car battery.. Apart from that, you can continue working under the low-light conditions, thanks to the ultra-bright flashlight it shows off!
So, considering all the facts mentioned above, I can easily count NOCO Boost Pro as the best battery charger for diesel truck, car, pickup, boat etc.
To gear up your diesel truck, an effective battery has no alternative choice. And similarly, having a top-notch charger is equally necessary if you want to keep your truck’s battery in better condition for a long period of time.
And I’m pretty sure you’ve got what you’re searching for; I’ve provided all the essential information through the article on the best battery charger for diesel truck. And feel free to rely on any of my selected products since most of these are tested by experts and have got excellent customer ratings too!